Circuit logoTorbay Methodist Circuit

Torquay - Paignton - Brixham

 

Paignton

The Paignton Methodist Churches are [Goodrington]; [Palace Avenue] and [Southfield] - Click on a name to open a page

Click here to read a history of Paignton (Palace Avenue) Methodist Church

Click here to read a history of Paignton (Southfield) Methodist Church

Click here to view a local weather report

Further information about the Paignton Methodist Churches can be found at the independent Paignton Methodist Churches website.


Paignton lies in a central position and is renown for its many sandy beaches and its five-mile coastline. Its eastern aspect tends to make it far more bracing and invigorating than many other south coast resorts.  

Paignton has many fine beaches, including Preston, Goodrington and Broadsands, all of which have good stretches of sand and provide safe bathing.

The "Bible Tower", which is the south-west tower of the old Bishop's Palace, once a residence of the Bishops of Exeter, dates from the twelfth and fourteenth centuries. Bishop Miles Coverdale, whose English translation of the Bible was published in 1536, was the last Bishop to occupy the tower as a residence. 

Oldway Mansion, a former home of the Singer (sewing machine) family is now a civic, social and recreational centre. The magnificent architecture and interior features have earned it the title of "The Miniature Versailles". 

Paignton Zoological & Botanical Gardens, described as one of the most beautiful in Europe, occupy seventy-five acres of an attractive Devonshire valley.

As with Torquay, the development of Paignton as a popular seaside resort owes much to the arrival of the railway in the mid-1850's.


Contact Information